After my focus group on Thursday I created a new version of my trait game from the feedback I got.
- basic boards
- icons used
- use of colour
- love jean pool
- love the characters
- love the end stories
- like the option of physical cards and app, like the app as it keeps it modern
- like building up character pieces
- like circle shaped board
As they liked the characters, jean pool and building up the character pieces I tried to develop this by keeping the characters but having them able to wear the ‘jeans.’
The ‘jeans’ and character traits are magnetic so the jeans stick to the character.As they liked the simple board and made a comment that the linear board seemed like you ‘die’ at the end of the game I kept it circular. I also then removed the career roles as they didn’t fit well with a non-linear board and overcomplicated the game.
As they liked the simple board and made a comment that the linear board seemed like you ‘die’ at the end of the game I kept it circular. I also then removed the career roles as they didn’t fit well with a non-linear board and overcomplicated the game.
Another comment was made about what is the difference between collecting head and heart points. I currently had it that in the game you would collect head and heart points and the highest scorer won. However this made no sense as why would head and heart be the same? You may as well just have 1 set of tokens. To try and resolve this I changed it so in the game you had to try and get a balance of head and heart points. The player closest to a 50/50 balance would win the game. This is when I added the androgyny zone in the middle of the board. The new point of the game was to become androgynous.
An element was also added in the game to make choosing your character more fun, a marble run to randomly select.
These are the current rules for this game –
This is the game I presented at my major interim today along with the rest of my work. Upon reflection, I realised that I have overcomplicated my game. The use of the marble run was unnecessary and I think I was trying to inject fun but did it in an overtop way. I also think the androgyny zone was something I added last minute and is too complicated for young children to understand. There was also some confusion with the game, whether I am trying to create a commercially viable product or something more provocative. I think this week I am going to try and strip back the game and keep it simple and subtle. Keep the characters for personality traits but remove gender and just show children that they can be whoever they want to be/play as and that this game isn’t loudly projecting gender onto them. I am going to keep the game completely gender neutral and still make sure I am keeping it fun and exciting. Hopefully after some changes I can start to create a simple game that will be easy to test and develop my personality character traits further… stay tuned.